Instructions for Submitting a Climate Action Plan
- Log in to the Reporting System by entering your E-mail address and password into the login box at the top right-hand corner of the page. If you have lost or forgotten your password, you may reset it here. If your problems persist, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After logging in, you'll come to a dashboard that shows your institution's Implementation Profile, GHG Reports, and Climate Action Plans. Use the Create a Climate Action Plan tool to start a new CAP. To do this, make sure the institution you wish to report for appears in the "Institution" box and then click the "Create CAP" button. You should then see a new plan appear under "Your Climate Action Plans." Click "Edit" to begin your institution's Climate Action Plan.
- Fill in all of the fields with the correct information for your institution. Fields that are required for a complete submission are noted with Req. You may save your progress at any time by clicking the "Save as Draft" button at the end of the form. More information about the data requested for each field is included below.
- When you have completed all of the required fields and are ready to formally submit the report publicly, click the "Submit Publicly" button at the end of the form. This may take a moment as your files are being uploaded. When you have successfully submitted your report, you will be taken to a confirmation page.
- You may edit your Climate Action Plans at any time by logging in and clicking "Edit" next to the report you wish to edit. You may also delete an incomplete CAP at any time by clicking "Delete" next to the report you wish to delete.
Climate Action Plan Details
Climate Action Plan Title
Enter the full title of the Climate Action Plan.
Climate Action Plan File Upload
Use the browse function to locate the Climate Action Plan on your computer. This file will be uploaded when you click "Save as Draft" or "Submit Publicly." We recommend uploading the Plan as a PDF file, but we also allow DOC, DOCX, RTF, and ODT formats. The file must be smaller than 20 MB.
Enter the date the Climate Action Plan was formally adopted at your institution. Plans should be approved by the President or Chancellor and any other appropriate parties.
Graphical Representation of Mitigation Strategies
This chart should illustrate the potential emissions reduction and cost of various emissions mitigation strategies that were considered in the development of the institution's Climate Action Plan. For an example graph, click here. Valid file types are JPG, PNG, and GIF. The image must be less than 1 MB in size.
CA-CP Users: In v6.0 of the Clean Air-Cool Planet (CA-CP) Campus Carbon Calculator, this graph can be created from the worksheet labeled, "GraphControl" in the Solutions Module Graph section.
Graphical Representation of Emissions Trajectory
This graph should illustrate how implementation of the institution's Climate Action Plan is expected to impact the emissions trajectory for the institution. For an example graph, click here. Valid file types are JPG, PNG, and GIF. The image must be less than 1 MB in size.
The fields in this section request information about the emissions targets established in the Climate Action Plan. A target date for Climate Neutrality must be entered along with at least one interim milestone target, although you may enter up to fifteen. To add another row to the table in order to add another target, click "Add another target" at the bottom of the table. Details on each column of the table are below.
Climate Neutrality Target Date
Enter the target date for climate neutrality established in your Climate Action Plan. If for any reason, it was not possible to include a target date for climate neutrality in the current iteration of the plan, you may select "TBD" (To Be Determined) from the drop down list, in which case you must include in the corresponding text field an explanation of why a target could not be set at this time, and a process for setting a target in the future.
|Interim Milestone Emission-Reduction Target||Enter the emissions target by entering the percentage in the first field and selecting the appropriate emissions source from the second field. For a target of carbon neutrality, enter a 100% reduction in Total Scopes 1, 2, 3 Emissions.|
|Target Date||Enter the target date in YYYY format, e.g. 2020.|
|Baseline||Select the year the target emissions should be calculated relative to. Note that you must have submitted a GHG Report for this year.|
Nonstandard Emissions Targets
If the institution's Climate Action Plan includes targets that do not fit into the tabular format, you may enter them here.
Summarize the institution's plans for mitigating its greenhouse gas emissions (up to 300 words).
For guidance, please see AASHE's Climate Action Planning Wiki, Chapter 5 on Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Strategies.
Summarize the institution's plans to make climate neutrality and sustainability a part of the curriculum and other educational experience for all students (up to 300 words).
The requirements related to education are described in the ACUPCC Implementation Guide on page 23. For further guidance, see AASHE's Climate Action Planning Wiki, Chapter 3.1 Climate Change and Sustainability in the Curriculum.
Summarize the institution's plans to expand research related to the achievement of climate neutrality (up to 300 words).
The requirements related to research are described in the ACUPCC Implementation Guide on page 24. For further guidance, see AASHE's Climate Action Planning Wiki, Chapter 3.2 Climate Change and Sustainability Research.
Summarize the institution's plans to expand community outreach related to the achievement of climate neutrality (up to 300 words).
The requirements related to community outreach are described in the ACUPCC Implementation Guide on page 24. For further guidance, see AASHE's Climate Action Planning Wiki, Chapter 3.3 Public Engagement on Climate Change.