Submitted on March 8, 2013; last updated on March 8, 2013
No information provided
Integrating Sustainability/Conservation into EWU Strategic Plan and Campus Master Plan.
Green development of facilities and grounds at Eastern’s Campus
Building Audit and conservation upgrades
Analysis of alternate energy opportunities
Water conservation projects
Energy Conservation Projects
Enhancing/Expanding alternate transportation options
1. BS in Environmental Science with majors in: Environmental Biology, Environmental Chemistry and Environmental Geology.
2. WE are currently working on certificate programs in the area of community gardening and food preparation. Certificates are also being developed in the area of energy. After the certificates are developed, it is hoped to develop majors and minors in those areas.
3. Student membership on EWU Campus Sustainability Committee
4. Alternate Energy Center Project – This project continues to be developed to enhance both academic instruction in area of energy development, sustainable design and reduction of carbon footprint. This facility is being developed to support academic programs and degrees as well and offer opportunities for student research, collaborative research with local energy and sustainable companies and be a community center for Eastern’s commitment to reducing the impact on the environment.
5. Community Gardening – This initiative was developed jointly by the students a faculty with the goal of develop a “real foods” initiative that looks at reducing the impact of food production and transportation on the environment while incorporating the healthy nutrition and lifestyle opportunities for students, faculty and staff. Providing food products to university dining services and making them available to the local community for purchase.
6. Commute Trip Reduction – STA – Available free to all students, faculty and staff, Eastern’s Commute Trip Reduction program continues to be a highly supported and used program. This program continues to reduce the impact on the environment as well as reducing the need for addition campus parking facilities.
7. Recycling Program – Student are routinely involved in the planning and implementation of the University Recycling Program. Their input is critical part of the success the program has enjoyed over the past seven years.
Washington State Science Olympiad 2012 - Approximately 800 of Washington’s brightest students compete in the nation’s premier science program – where students learn not only science, but also practical engineering and lab skills, plus teamwork and communication skills. Middle school (B) and high school (C) teams each compete in 23 events that cover all the sciences, including those around environment and sustainability programs.
FIRST Robotics Completion – in 2012 and 2013 this regional event takes place on the Eastern Campus and involves up to 1500 participants daily promote interest in STEM programs.
NCUR 2015 - In 2015 the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) will be held on Eastern Washington University’s campus. Sustainability is a perennial subject matter for past and current NCUR conferences and in 2015 this will be an exceptional opportunity for promoting undergraduate research in sustainability and related fields.
Sustainability Center – The University continues to develop plans for a Sustainability Center on the Cheney Campus. This center will develop academic programs and research, along with recruiting community business and agencies to expand community innovation on Eastern’s campus.
For problems or questions about this site please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.